The UICA builds creative community by fostering new forms of expression, promoting collaboration, and providing genuine experiences with contemporary art.
Through compelling presentations, studio programs, community programs, and youth development, we actively challenge both artists and audiences to new levels of dialogue, creative pursuit, reflection, and illumination. UICA initiates conversation in response to visual art, music, film, literature, dance, and performance art featuring regional, national, and international artists.
UICA is dedicated to:
- the contemporary arts as a catalyst for exploration, inspiration, and provocation
- promoting inclusive cultural dialogue and lifelong learning throughout our diverse society
- presenting contemporary art that is artistically excellent, thought provoking, and experimental
- advancing the careers and the creative processes of innovative emerging and mid-career artists
- producing vibrant, sustainable programs that attract, educate, employ, and retain a diverse creative workforce in West Michigan
- partnering with community leaders and neighboring organizations to enhance our urban environment
- protecting freedom of artistic expression because it is essential to a thriving community
Programs & Activities
UICA features exhibitions of work from regional, national and international artists. Throughout the year, UICA hosts a range of dynamic events including concerts, performance art events, artist receptions, an annual Holiday Artists’ Market, and other special events that nurture our creative community. UICA’s 198-seat film theatre shows alternative cinema, foreign films, and documentaries six days a week.
In 2007, UICA and its ArtWorks youth program was nationally recognized by the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the National Endowment for the Humanities as “one of the top arts- and humanities-based programs in the country serving youth beyond the school hours.”
Funding for programs and operations provided in part by:
CUTTING EDGE SUPPORTERS
Justin & Kara Amash
Daniel & Judy Dethmers
Kertis & Charity Lytle
Richard & Mary Panek
Sam & Janene Cummings
David & Kara Rosen
Rick & Melissa DeVos